Rockschool offers exams for various instruments from Debut up to Grade 8 level. There are three types of exams:
|Grade Exams||Performance Certificates||Band Exams|
|Target / Suitability||For students who want to develop performance and technical skills.||For players who want to focus on performing in a range of styles. This can be taken at any grade. Players will only play pieces in this type of exam.||For players who want to perform as a band. The designated Band exams are Grades 3, 5 and 8. This exam is taken with all three instruments, Drums, Bass and Guitar playing the parts from the books together, as a group.|
|Exam Format||A graded examination is made up of the following components:
- A performance of either three pieces from the Rockschool syllabus book or two pieces from the book and one free choice piece
- Technical exercises
- A choice of sight reading, improvisation and interpretation or a Quick Study Piece
- Ear Tests
-General Musicianship Test
|A performance examination is made up of a performance of 5 pieces from the Rockschool syllabus book or three pieces from the book and two free choice pieces.
There will be no other tests or exercises.
|- Band exams are offered in Guitar, Bass, Drums and Band Based Keyboards at Grades 3, 5 and 8.
- Bands can be three piece (Guitar, Bass and Drums) or four piece (Guitar, Bass, Drums and Band Based Keyboards)
- Band exams are Performance Certificates, so consist of 5 performance pieces and no other tests or exercises
- Candidates can either perform five out of the six pieces printed in the Grade Books, or three pieces from the Grade Books and two free choice pieces.
To take a Rockschool exam, you need a syllabus book, which you can obtain from any of our branches.
To see a list of Frequently Asked Questions, please click here to view the PDF file.
For more details on our Rockschool exam schedules, please contact us
External candidates who wish to sit for the Rockschool exams are also welcome. Please feel free to contact the AOR office for more details if required.